Inside: Families that have fun together stay together! Searching for ways to knit your family together through shared fun experiences? You don’t have to stray far from home to create amazing memories together. Try these fun family activities at home to build a stronger family.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links, which means I’ll earn a small commission on qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you. Of course, I only recommend products I know and love!
The kids were splashing in the kiddie pool we had just set up. After all it was 96 degrees Fahrenheit out there.
Another four degrees and I decided we would just pack it up and move to Minnesota.
I had considered baking cookies on the sidewalk, but the kiddie pool idea won instead. A little water goes a long way toward happy kids in the Florida heat!
I was enjoying watching them play and swim, seated safely outside the splash zone, of course.
Suddenly I heard the back porch door open, and there stood my husband.
He crouched, gave us a grin, then sprinted toward the kiddie pool.
“Cannon ball!” He yelled as he jumped (feet first) into six inches of water.
Y’all. We all just lost it.
The kids shrieked with excitement and I nearly fell out of my chair from laughing!
It was just the bit of fun we needed to beat the summer heat. We’d all been dragging all week long, busy with chores and errands.
But that lazy Saturday? We were determined to get in some serious playtime together.
The Importance of Fun Family Time
Ever feel like your family dynamic is all work and no play? It’s so easy to get stuck in a rut, especially with little ones and the demands they place on your time.
But spending time together having fun as a family is essential for building healthy kids and strong families!
Benefit #1: Family Time Builds Value
First, spending family time sends your kids the message that they are valuable.
We assign things or people value based on how much time, energy, and attention we set aside for them.
Think about it… what do you spend the most time thinking or doing?
Those hobbies or habits that take up your free time can be wonderful. Surely, moms and dads need a break now and then!
But don’t let the weeks or years slip by without communicating to your kids that they have priceless value to you. And what sends that message better than anything else?
Benefit #2: Family Time Spreads Roots
Want to rest assured that your kids won’t shut you out when they’re teenagers? Spend time having fun and connecting with them when they’re little.
I like to think that every memory we make together as a family is like a tree root.
Storms may come during the adolescent years. We may go through those dry or difficult seasons as a family.
But I know my kids will be firmly rooted in this family. They’ll know that they have an powerful team fighting for them, praying for them, and keeping them steady and upright.
Ready to spread some roots and build your child’s sense of value? Try these fun things to do at home for kids.
And don’t forget to download the free printable list from our parenting library! Stick it on your fridge and you’ll be ready for family fun at a moment’s notice.
You’ll Also Love:
- 40+ Ideas for One-on-One Time With Kids
- Why we Love Outdoor Play
- How to Fill Your Child’s Bucket (Even When They Misbehave!)
What are some fun family activities at home?
Indoor Family Activities
- Do a process art project together.
- Make taco night more fun! Play salsa music while you cook together!
- Create a domino maze through the house.
- Host karaoke night.
- Play a classic board game like Candy Land or Chutes and Ladders.
- Design and paint family t-shirts.
- Have a hula hoop contest.
- Snuggle together for family movie night.
- Make pancakes for dinner, then pile on the toppings.
- Create a music playlist together, then have a dance party.
- Go indoor camping and set up a tent in the living room.
- Take turns pulling each other in blanket races.
- Make fruit kabobs and stir together some yummy cream cheese dip.
- Play an epic game of hide and seek.
- Put together a jumbo floor puzzle.
Outdoor Family Activities
- Rake leaves into piles, then take turns jumping in.
- Buy a cheap kiddie pool and celebrate Swim Saturdays!
- Push back bedtime and stargaze together.
- Take a family bike ride or walk. Pull little ones along in a kid-friendly wagon.
- Play freeze tag or red rover.
- Set up a roadside lemonade stand. Buy ice cream with the profits!
- Make paper boats to float in puddles after a rainy day.
- Pitch a tent in the backyard and go camping.
- Fly kites on a windy day.
- Set up bases and play a game of kickball.
- Paint outside after dark with glow-in-the-dark paint!
- Have a water balloon fight.
- Build a birdhouse together.
- Plant flowers or vegetables.
- Wash the car together, then make a bike and toy car wash.
Ready to make a change from all work and no play? Here’s what you can do, starting right now. It doesn’t take much to have more fun together as a family, you just have to get started!
- Print out the checklist of 50 ideas for family fun time. Hang it on your fridge for the whole family to see.
- Take turns picking out which activities to do together. It doesn’t have to be planned to perfection to make great memories!
- Checked off every activity on the list? Sit down together and make your own family fun checklist!
- Keep at it! Parenting is a long game, and you’ll see the reward of investing your time into your kids for years to come. Promise!
What is your favorite way to have fun as a family? Any go-to fun things to do at home for kids? Share them below!