The dreaded summer slump. As a teacher, I used to approach the beginning of each school year with fear and trembling. It would take weeks to get my students back in thinking mode and ready to learn. The summer slump was a huge hurdle that we had to overcome, year after year!
Can I be honest? I get it now. As a mom, I’ve started to understand why parents sometimes let their kids get into a summer learning slump. Parents are searching for rest from the over-burdened schedules and obligations during the school year! Everyone needs a break now and then, right?
I think there’s a solution that meets somewhere in the middle of the summer slump mindset and complete learning overload. It’s called Thinking Thursday! When used as part of an epic summer schedule, Thinking Thursday can give your kids just the right amount of mental challenge. And best of all, these activities are so much fun, your kiddos most likely won’t even realize that you’re prepping them for the next school year. Go ahead and do a happy dance, you’re a sneaky ninja mama! Alright already, now get yourself together and read below for tips to make Thinking Thursday work for your family this summer!
Hey there, mama! If you’re taking the epic summer challenge with me (and you should!), be sure to download your free summer schedule printable below! This simple weekly planner will help you get organized and be intentional about making this a summer to remember with your kids!
Need more summer fun inspiration? Check here!
10 Creative Ideas for Thinking Thursday
- Alka Seltzer Rocket Eperiment– from Playful Learning
- Word Endings Ice Cream Shop– from 123 Homeschool 4 Me
- Number Splash Game– from Coffee Cups and Crayons
- Flower Experiment– from Play Learn Grow
- What Melts in the Sun Experiment– from Frugal Fun for Boys
- Paper Column Strength Experiment– from Creekside Learning
- Hula Hoop Math Game– from Coffee Cups and Crayons
- Geocaching for Kids– from Home Grown Hearts Academy
- Sight Word Hopscotch– from Mom to 2 Posh Lil’ Divas
- Sidewalk Chalk Scavenger Hunt– from Nurture Store
Don’t forget to get your free printable summer schedule weekly planner! Enter your info in the form below to get your download. It’s super quick and easy, and I know your kids will look forward to using this summer schedule!