Trunk or treat events are such a great way to participate in the fall holidays in a safe, wholesome way. I love how our church uses events like these to reach our neighbors and show love to our community. We also have a competition for the best trunk or treat theme!
My husband and I teamed up with our family to rock out an awesome trains theme trunk or treat. (Yep, my twin sister is married to my husband’s brother. This means our boys are double cousins!) Since our boys absolutely love trains, we decided to go all out with the train theme this year. We parked our vehicles end-to-end for a longer “train” look. Here’s our take on a DIY train theme for our trunk or treat event!
(Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links.)
- 6 cardboard wheels: spray paint gray, then paint black lines for spokes. Add red circles in the middle
- Cardboard cattle catcher in front: Spray paint gray and add black stripes.
- Cardboard “caboose” in back: Spray paint gray, cut out holes for railings.
- Poster board sign: We printed “Engine No. 9 McCorkle Express” on ours!
- For the Dads (railroad line workers): Jeans, blue t-shirts, neon worker vests.
- For the Moms (train engineers): Jeans, denim button up shirts, handkerchiefs.
- For the boys (little conductors): Denim overalls, button up shirts, handkerchiefs, and blue baseball caps.
- Accessories: we gave the boys a few wrenches to stick in their overall pockets, plus grandpa let us borrow an old pocket watch that we clipped through the overall snaps. (Soooo cute!)
We had so much fun giving out candy and sharing a little love with our neighbors. The boys are looking forward to our next trunk or treat already?
Share your ideas! What’s the best trunk or treat theme your family has ever done? What’s your favorite way to have a safe and wholesome trunk or treat?